You Are Not So Smart

YANSS 115 – How we transferred our biases into our machines and what we can do about it (Mo, 20 Nov 2017)
Now that algorithms are everywhere, helping us to both run and make sense of the world, a strange […]
>> mehr lesen

YANSS 113 – The power of fiction to change people’s minds (Di, 24 Okt 2017)
One of the most effective ways to change people’s minds is to put your argument into a narrative […]
>> mehr lesen

YANSS 111 – Some groups are smarter than others, and psychologists want to understand why (So, 01 Okt 2017)
When it comes to group activities — projects that require teams of people to work on a series […]
>> mehr lesen

YANSS 110 – How sleep deprivation dulls our minds and unleashes our biases (Mo, 11 Sep 2017)
You can’t get less sleep than you need during the week and make it up on the weekends. […]
>> mehr lesen

YANSS 109 – How search engines inflate your intellectual confidence (Mo, 11 Sep 2017)
Fearing that new technology will lead to lazy thinking is an old concern, one that goes back at least as far […]
>> mehr lesen

YANSS 108 – Pandora’s Lab (Di, 15 Aug 2017)
The facts don’t speak for themselves. Someone always speaks for them. From the opioid crisis to vaccines, vitamin […]
>> mehr lesen

YANSS 107 – How debate leads to progress and social change, no matter who wins (Sa, 05 Aug 2017)
Parker Wiseman ran for student office in high school with photocopied flyers. He debated the public school system […]
>> mehr lesen

YANSS 106 – The psychology behind climate change denial (rebroadcast) (Mo, 31 Jul 2017)
In this episode, psychologist Per Espen Stoknes discusses his book: What We Think About When We Try Not to […]
>> mehr lesen

YANSS 105 – Optimism Bias (Di, 25 Jul 2017)
When you think about your future health, career, finances, and even longevity — you imagine a rosy, hopeful […]
>> mehr lesen

YANSS 104 – Labels (rebroadcast) (So, 23 Jul 2017)
In moments of ambiguity, we think in terms of frames, narratives, and categories. These constructs are charged with […]
>> mehr lesen

YANSS 103 – Desirability Bias (Do, 20 Jul 2017)
Confirmation bias is our tendency to seek evidence that supports our beliefs and that confirms our assumptions — […]
>> mehr lesen

102 – WEIRD Science (rebroadcast) (Do, 20 Jul 2017)
Is psychology too WEIRD? That’s what this episode’s guest, psychologist Steven J. Heine suggested when he and his […]
>> mehr lesen

YANSS 101 – Naive Realism (rebroadcast) (Do, 20 Jul 2017)
In psychology, they call it naive realism, the tendency to believe that the other side is wrong because […]
>> mehr lesen

YANSS 100 – The Replication Crisis (Mi, 19 Jul 2017)
Psychology is working on the hardest problems in all of science. Physics, astronomy, geology — those are easy, […]
>> mehr lesen

YANSS 099 – The Half Life of Facts (Di, 18 Jul 2017)
In medical school, they tell you half of what you are about to learn won’t be true when […]
>> mehr lesen

YANSS 098 – Why we often choose to keep useful information out of our heads (Mo, 03 Apr 2017)
The cyberpunks, the Founding Fathers, the 19th Century philosophers, and the Enlightenment thinkers — they each envisioned a […]
>> mehr lesen

YANSS 097 – What scam artists can teach us about the human brain (Mo, 03 Apr 2017)
For centuries, scam artists, con artists, and magicians were the world’s leading experts on biases, fallacies, heuristics and all […]
>> mehr lesen

YANSS 096 – Is progress inevitable? (Fr, 03 Mär 2017)
In his book on the history of human progress, Our Kind, anthropologist Marvin Harris asked in the final […]
>> mehr lesen

YANSS 095 – How to fight back against the backfire effect (Sa, 11 Feb 2017)
If you ask a social scientist familiar with motivated reasoning and the backfire effect if there is any hope […]
>> mehr lesen

YANSS 094 – How motivated skepticism strengthens incorrect beliefs (Mo, 30 Jan 2017)
By now you’ve likely heard of confirmation bias. As a citizen of the internet the influence of this […]
>> mehr lesen